Okay, I promise this is the last challenge for 2009–I won’t even sign up for this one officially even. I do know that author diversity is an area I tend to struggle in. I managed three foreign books in 2007 but none this past year (not counting a Japanese American one).
The challenge is simple – read six books in translation by the end of 2009. Comment with links to share or email me review URL to post. Check in periodically to see suggestions, reviews and what others are reading as well as articles and posts related to reading works in translation. Comment here with feedback and helpful suggestions? Would love to hear from you.
1. The Elegance of the Hedgehog (This has been getting rave reviews, one of which called it a French equivalent of Alexander McCall Smith)
2. Chocolat—with the sequel out now, it makes sense to finally read it
3. Suite Française, by Irene Nemirovsky—another one that’s been on TBR list
4. The Club Dumas—the premise seems intriguing
5. Invisible Cities, by Italo Calvino–I suppose I should read something else of his since I loved If on a winter’s night a traveler so much.
6. Wild Card–Theoretically I should read something Russian, but I’d rather wait to find something that strikes my fancy.